Foods People with PKD Can Eat and Not Eat
No matter how your healthy condition is, diet plays a crucial role in your life. For people with Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD), it is more important to know foods people with PKD can eat and not eat, because a healthy diet can help slow down the progression of their condition while a incorrect diet may aggravate their disease.
Since Polycystic Kidney Disease is characterized by numerous fluid-filled cysts in the kidney, the fundamental principle of their diet is to reduce their cysts and protect their kidney. Therefore, we summarize several suggestions for the diet of these patients.
1.What foods people with PKD can eat?
● Fruits high in vitamin such as cranberry, kiwi fruit and pomegranate, because these fruits can not only guarantee patients’ nutrition but also help improve their kidney function to lower high creatinine and BUN level.
● Vegetables and fruits contain rich iron. Fatigue caused by anemia is a common symptom of kidney disease. If uncontrolled effectively or left untreated, anemia can cause more severe healthy problems. Iron is an important mineral to remit anemia, so foods high in iron such as carrot is recommended for these patients.
● Patients with PKD can also eat more alkaline food, because these foods are able to assist the whole treatments.
● Foods such as watermelon have a function of diuretic. Eating moderate amount of these foods can make the body to produce more urine, so more wastes and excessive water can discharge from the body so that it can give a clear internal environment to the kidney.
2.What foods people with PKD can not eat?
● Foods contain a lot of salt. Cheese, pickles, canned foods, processed food, salty potato chips, etc, all can contribute to these foods.
● Fermentation products. These foods can accelerate the rate of kidney cyst growth.
● High quantity protein. Generally, high-quality protein rather than high-quantity protein is recommended for these patients.
● Coffee and chocolate.
Because the words here are limited, we can’t introduce every food for you. Therefore, if you still have some follow-up questions about “foods people with PKD can eat and not eat”, feel free to tell us so that we can tell whether you can eat some certain foods that you love.
Tag: PKD Diet