Skype: live:pkdclinic888|Email: pkdclinic888@hotmail.com | Whatsapp: +86 15512139310
PKD Clinic

Polycystic Kidney Disease& Kidney Cysts

Printer-friendly | Favorite

PKD & Kidney Cysts

Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a group of disorders that result from the formation and progressive enlargement of cysts in the kidneys without dysplasia, usually leading to renal failure.

With Gene Test, PKD Is No Longer Inherited

2018-04-12 08:43

Nephrology department is also called concentrated Internal Medical Department. That is because almost all internal medicine diseases can be found in nephrology department, of course, including inherited diseases.

Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) is the most common hereditary kidney disease. The normal kidney will be replaced by numerous cysts, which make it look like a bunch of grapes.
With Gene Test, PKD Is No Longer Inherited

The cysts can enlarge kidneys. Fist-size kidney can usually grow up to over 30cm, because of which, patients often feel back pain.

In China, there are over 1500,000 PKD patients. And 10% of them have uremia. But with common kidney disease, only 1% of patients have uremia. From this point, we can see that the chance is very high from PKD to uremia.
With Gene Test, PKD Is No Longer Inherited

The high probability of uremia in PKD is due to the inability of conventional drugs to prevent the growth of cysts.

Does PKD definitely run in families?

According to the clinical diagnosis and treatment guidelines of nephrology, the main cause of the disease is the genetic inheritance of pathogenic genes from the previous generation, accounting for about 60%. The remaining 40% have no family history and are caused by gene mutations.

Most PKD patients are autosomal dominant polycystic kidney. It is not related to the gender of the child. When any of your parents are ill, your incidence is 1/2. If both of your parents are ill, your incidence is 3/4.

At the same time, incomplete physical checkups and delayed symptoms make the disease being ignored in early stage. Many patients have had thousands of renal cysts, but they still do not have any clinical manifestations, so it is likely for them to ignore the disease. Once the disease goes into kidney failure stage, you may have to do dialysis or kidney transplant.

How do we avoid having a PKD baby?

To use gene test.

With Gene Test, PKD Is No Longer Inherited
2014 Consensus Expert Recommendations for the Diagnosis and Management of Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease: Report of an International Conference
pointed that, gene test is recommended when you have the following clinical conditions.

1. The results of renal imaging were ambiguous.

2. Patients with sporadic PKD without family history

3. A living kidney donor who has a risk of disease.

4. Atypical PKD

5. Patients who want to have a baby

Most patients who need gene test fall into two categories. One is those who are clinically unable to diagnose PKD. Second is those who want to have children.

If you want to have a healthy baby with PKD, it is possible to do it. That is to do gene test to select a healthy embryo, and then transplant it into parent. There have been successful cases in the world. For more information on PKD, please leave a message below or contact online doctor.

Any questions? Fill the form below. You will surely get the free medical advice from experts within 24 hours.

Please remember to leave your email address, or phone number so that we can contact you and help you!
Please leave the patient's FULL name in case of a duplicate, and to make our doctor give timely response and help.

Full Name:
Gender:
Age:
Country:
Email:
Phone Number:
Kidney Disease:
Disease Description:
Skype:
Viber:
Whatsapp:
 
Related articles on pkdclinic.org

Polycystic Kidney Disease

Renal Cysts

Latest Article learn about pkd
Make an Appointment with Our Renal Expert Team in Your Country